Local Government Apprentice of the Year 2024

Local Government Apprentice of the Year 2024 Event 


In this national online event, participants from across the country competed to become the Local Government Apprentice of the Year 2024! 119 Level 2 and 3 local government apprentices took part from across England and Wales, covering 9 of the 10 regions across England and Wales

One of our Devon County Council Apprentices Alisha, a Level 3 Business Administration Apprentice, was a part of one of the two the winning teams (tied position).

Alisha said:

I’d say it was a real challenge, and very much out of my comfort zone! The experience was great from start to finish though; it really brought out my creativity and gave me a deep insight into how everything works. It has been a privilege to work alongside such great people, to be in such a fantastic team, and to help represent Devon County Council through it all." 

You can found out more about the event and the winners, here: 2024 Local Government Apprentice of the Year announced | Local Government Association


Our other amazing apprentices who took part in the event, were:


Neve – Level 3 Business Administration Apprentice.
Neve said:

“The Local Government Apprentice of the year awards is an amazing opportunity to meet other apprentices in the same situation as you. It was really fun to meet all of these new people and come together using our varying skills to complete the tasks. 

It's a great way to improve your confidence, communication skills and learn what areas you excel in and what you want to improve. I thought that I would be really nervous and not contribute to my group, but I quickly felt comfortable sharing ideas and opinions with my team!”

Bronte – Level 3 Business Administration Apprentice

Bronte said:

“I enjoyed being part of the LGA event and having the opportunity to meet so many people from different councils and hearing about their roles. It was exciting to be part of a new team to complete tasks using our own individual skills and I think it is a great learning and confidence boost for apprentices.”

Mason – Level 3 Business Administration Apprentice

Mason said:

“I really enjoyed my time taking part in the Local Government Apprentice Awards 2024. I was put out of my comfort zone where I had was able to acquire new skills such as team work by being more assertive with my ideas, meeting deadlines as tasks had a short time limit to complete them and producing information in different formats.

I grew confidence in my decision making and believed more in my idea suggestions, as the ones I presented to my team were received really well. I would encourage all apprentice to take part in this competition as it is a great way to network and meet other apprentices/organisations.”

Leo – Level 3 Civil Engineering Apprentice

Leo said:

“On the 21st May 2024 I, along with other apprentices in Devon County Council, competed in the Local Government Apprentice of the Year challenge, this year the topic of discussion was Health & Wellbeing and how councils can improve their support surrounding this important matter. 

We started the day with rapid-fire, speed networking sessions where we introduced ourselves to other apprentices from across the nation, I got the chance to meet many of this year’s 120 participants. We were put into our groups for the day’s task, first identifying what we wanted to focus on regarding Health & Wellbeing. 

Many subjects were suggested from social housing to sewage in our waterways, ultimately my team and I settled on loneliness within our growing elderly population. We titled our project WISER an acronym of Wide Integrated Service for Elderly Recognition. Our proposals suggest the implementation of posters for awareness of social events available, help boxes at community hubs for those with limited access to technology and simplified council websites with large text and a widely accessible User Interface. These all aimed to create inclusion within our elderly population. Finally, we put these concepts into action and designed our posters and developed a presentation to voice our proposals. 

Overall, I believe this event helped me prove and develop my leadership skills, along with giving me an insight into how other councils and their respective departments operate, this should be exceedingly helpful in my job role here at DCC. A huge thanks goes out to the apprenticeships teams both at Devon County Council and the East of England Local Government Association for arranging such an amazing event.”

Below are some example posters Leo and his team created as part of the challenge. 






Comments

Popular Posts