Next Step Apprenticeships - Schools

 Judith - Level 4 School Business Professional Apprenticeship


My appraisal had identified a desire to widen my skills and knowledge and the School Business Professional Apprenticeship seemed an ideal way to do this.  I had started working in School Admin when my children were small as it provided family friendly hours, but as they got older I was looking for more challenge and had more time to offer. 

I started on the course in June 2021 with an online session and over the next two years met my fellow students four times in person with sessions held in Oxford.  I was allocated a Coach to support me through my studies and found their input really useful, we met virtually within each module.  This was an opportunity to talk about how the course was impacting on my work and a chance to reflect and consider the future.

There were six modules to my course: HR, Finance. Marketing, Infrastructure, Managing Support Services and Procurement.  After the introductory in person sessions there was online work to complete exploring the topics in more depth.  There were activities that I completed and then assessment questions as well.  These took my learning and applied them to my school as well as exploring the topics theoretically.  School supported me giving me time to complete my studies in the working week, and individuals gave their time to allow me to ask questions and talk through my assignments.

To complete the assessment, I also undertook a work based project, which was a great example of transferring my learning to the workplace.  I chose to focus on HR and looked at our induction processes and procedures.

When all my work was complete I went to ‘Gateway’ which is the final assessment involving a written assessment and presentation of my response, then verbal questioning and presentation of my work based project.  It was a relief to hear a week later that I had passed with a distinction.  It was the culmination of a lot of work.

When I initially considered an apprenticeship I thought I was too old!  I turned forty a month after starting the course but it has been a great way to study while working and extend my knowledge.  It has helped me move into a School Business Manager role and although every day is a school day in terms of learning I feel I have a great foundation on which to build.


"The School Business Professional Apprenticeship seemed the obvious choice of apprenticeship for Judith as she was already working in the school in various administrative roles and she was in a position to take on further responsibilities. From a school perspective, it also worked very well as we knew our current office manager was heading into retirement so it made sense for succession planning.

The apprenticeship itself really equipped Judith for taking over the role of School Business Manager and prepared her for many of the challenges that she would be facing on a daily basis. Without this knowledge and experience, I feel it would have been very challenging for Judith to take over the role. The apprenticeship required a high level of commitment from Judith but she managed her time incredibly well and completed all of the modules to high standard. I feel it has been the perfect route into her new role." 
- Debbie, Headteacher & Line Manager. 


Judith

Comments

Popular Posts