Next Step Apprenticeships

 Sandra - Senior HR Adviser

My name is Sandra and I have worked for DCC for 18 years at my anniversary in June.  I work within the People and Culture Directorate as a Senior HR Adviser.

Back in summer 2021, I read about an opportunity to take on a Level 7 Senior People Professional apprenticeship linked directly to CIPD the professional body for HR professionals. I never really thought of myself as being an apprentice at my age, but why not I asked myself! Fast forward two years and I have just completed my apprenticeship and received my results; I passed both my master’s element with Exeter University and achieved Chartered CIPD membership.

The apprenticeship for me was more about getting validation and recognition for my extensive work experience. I did acquire some new academic learning across the two years, and I certainly had to develop my assignment writing skills and academic referencing for assignments which wasn’t such a big thing when I studied for my degree back in 1993! It challenged me to begin learning in a structured way, to assess my own personal career goals and create a new network of peers beyond the confines of Devon County Council. I  have made some new friends but more importantly made some professional connections to support the next stage in my career.

My hopes for the future are that I will get an opportunity to use my learning and the skills I have developed within the Directorate. I have enjoyed learning so much that I have now set up an apprenticeship network to share our passion for learning and create a space in which people can share their learning, reach out for support and celebrate their achievements. I have now taken on the role of being a workplace mentor for a colleague who is just embarking on the same Senior People Professional Degree Apprenticeship too, so I get to see it from a different perspective.

My message to anyone considering a “Step in” apprenticeship is to go for it!! The wide range on offer should mean there is something for everyone and even though it is hard work, and you need to invest a lot of your whole self into it for the duration, the rewards are worth it. I am very proud of the journey I have been on whilst being a parent, a carer and working in a busy team pretty much full time.  People ask me what I will do with my time now I have finished and I am yet to decide.


Sandra

Senior HR Adviser

 

 Twitter | Facebook Website Instagram


Comments

  1. Great achievement Sandra I know you have worked really hard now for the next challenge Karen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts