Apprentice to Professional

Brooklyn - Team Leader


I started Devon County Council as a Business Administration Apprentice in the Leadership Support Team supporting the Director of Finance in April 2022. I then progressed to my current role of Team Leader in Revenue and Payments in August 2023 where I manage the Finance Apprenticeship Scheme.

I finished my GCSE’s in 2020 and studied Media at Exeter College. As this was during the pandemic, I found college wasn’t very motivating and lost interest in the course. I studied it for the first year, and then decided I wanted to search for an apprenticeship. I had no idea what I had wanted to do, but when I realised Devon County Council offered Business Admin apprenticeships, I decided that would be a good place to start. The council is an excellent secure employer especially for apprentices, and I had always been interest in how the county operates to provide services to the people.

Before starting my apprenticeship, I wasn’t very confident in myself or my abilities and was always very cautious of social settings and the work environment. I remember starting my first role feeling as though I would never get to grips with it! But, the further into my apprenticeship I have gotten the more my confidence has grown and I am now confident in areas such as public speaking and presenting that I wouldn’t have been a few years ago! I managed to develop my knowledge

I studied Level 3 Business Administration with Exeter College every Thursday and found this reignited my interest in learning academically. The staff were really supportive and I made connections with other apprentices outside of my organisation, and felt as though This has motivated me to gain further qualifications, which I never saw myself considering prior to my apprenticeship.

I would thoroughly recommend an apprenticeship at DCC to anyone, the support and development/training opportunities are excellent.


Brooklyn

Team Leader - Revenue and Payments 

 Twitter | Facebook Website Instagram

Comments

Popular Posts