Apprentice to Professional

 Amy - Apprenticeships & Employability Advisor

I joined Devon County Council (DCC) in 2016 as a Business Administration Apprentice within the Apprenticeships & Early Careers Team which sits within Human Resources (HR). In my team we oversee the First Step programme and the Council's internal apprenticeship programme for new (Step In) and existing staff (Next Step), which includes utilising our Apprenticeship Levy. 

 I left school and college with no idea what I wanted to do as a career in the future. I wasn’t particularly academic in school so I felt university wasn’t an option for me. When I joined DCC, I still had no idea what I wanted to do but I thought it would be good to gain some professional work experience and a qualification while I figured it out.  

As I completed my Business Administration Apprenticeship I became more interested in HR and enjoyed working at Devon County Council, I wanted to continue to develop further. After completing my apprenticeship and securing a permanent role as an Apprenticeships Administrator, I decided to undertake a Level 3 HR Support Apprenticeship with Exeter College to increase my knowledge of the HR function and support my future career progression. I loved my Level 3 HR Support Apprenticeship and my passion for working in HR and Apprenticeships grew significantly. 

During this apprenticeship, I secured a new role in the Apprenticeships & Early Careers Team as an Assistant Apprenticeship Advisor which I feel I wouldn't have done if not for the knowledge, skills and experience I'd achieved through my Apprenticeship. I completed my Level 3 HR Support apprenticeship with a Distinction. 

When the opportunity to complete the Level 5 HR Consultant/Partner Apprenticeship came up, I jumped at the chance as I'd loved every minute of my previous apprenticeships and wanted to gain a higher-level qualification despite feeling anxious about the step-up academically. Attending my training with Exeter College again, I was well supported and enjoyed meeting apprentices from a range of organisations and sectors. During this apprenticeship, I secured my current role as an Apprenticeships & Employability Advisor. This role has been an amazing opportunity to put my skills into practice from my Level 5 apprenticeship while continuing to develop in a new and challenging role.  

I completed my Level 5 apprenticeship in 2023 achieving a Distinction and attended my graduation ceremony in the October. I couldn't believe the results of my apprenticeship and the fact I was attending a graduation ceremony as this was something I never thought I'd do having not gone to University. I consider my greatest achievement to be completing my Level 5 apprenticeship. 

After completing my apprenticeship, I applied and was awarded Regional Winner of Higher and Degree Apprentice of the Year at the National Apprenticeship Awards and went on to be a National finalist. I feel honoured to have been recognised for my achievements and for the progress I made during my time as an apprentice! The awards was lovely way to end my apprenticeship journey. 

During my apprenticeship, I was part of a network for apprentices at DCC and was given the opportunity to attend various additional training courses on subjects like interview skills, presentation skills, excel training and Insights Discovery, a personal development course. These opportunities were great for my off the job training and supported my development not only for my apprenticeship but in my job role at DCC helping to build my capability and confidence. 

In 2018, I joined the South West Apprenticeship Ambassador Network to champion apprenticeships and the benefits. The network is a community of current/former apprentices and employers who are passionate about advocating apprenticeships within the South West.

I'm still an active member today and from March 2020-February 2023 I was the Regional Apprentice Chair, a rewarding role which allowed me to provide direct insight on my experience, and the experience of other members of the network on being an apprentice to the Department of Education. The network provides apprentices with training and development, networking opportunities and peer support. While part of the network, I've attended various events promoting apprenticeships, hosted award ceremonies and was even invited to the King's Coronation Concert in May 2023! 

My apprenticeships helped shape the person I am today, which is why I am so passionate about supporting people into an apprenticeship as they offer young people the opportunity to start their professional careers or provide the chance to have a career change/re-train to those already in the workforce. 


Amy

Apprenticeships & Employability Advisor 

 Twitter | Facebook Website Instagram

Comments

Popular Posts