Next Step Apprenticeships

 Abi - Senior Leader Master's Degree

My MBA Journey...

Many procurement colleagues when asked how they got into procurement – the most common answer is we just found ourselves in it. I am at least one of those in the minority that actually say - I wanted to do procurement after school, albeit back then I used the term ‘buyer’ (I did like buying things!). So, after I completed studying for the procurement qualification (MCIPS), I was looking for something new to enhance my leadership and management skills. I always knew that I wanted to further study/develop but I wasn't quite sure what it was I would pick up.

While looking through the Insider one day, I came across the Degree Apprenticeships link. There was an offer to study with the University of Exeter Business School. I had just become a new manager and had taken up on my role in March 2020. It made so much sense to pick this programme as it focused on Leadership. The world around was changing with the Covid19 pandemic starting. In a way I thought, best to have someone teach me before I form my own bad leadership habits, but more importantly, I wanted to become more strategic in my thinking and leadership. The leadership MBA was a natural fit for me in an ever-changing work environment and exactly what I was looking for.

I knew I could learn so much from this opportunity. I spoke with my manager at length, and she was very supportive. We discussed the practicalities and the fact that I had just started a new role and Covid19 was already presenting many challenges, but it was also important to me, so we mapped a plan to ensure it would work for both me and the team.

The course had a start date of end of January 2021. The festive period came and went and offered a good opportunity to recharge the batteries but as soon as the New Year celebrations ended, it dawned on me that I had signed myself up for 2 years of hard work, which felt like a really long time. My family reassured me that would support me as I knew the studying would impact my social and family time. So, between the collective support from my leadership colleagues and my family, I felt reassured and decided to keep going.

It has been quite a journey. It has been a lot of hard work epitomised by late evenings, early starts, and limited weekend social activities but I have enjoyed my journey. I have met so many interesting people and cultivated a great network. It exposed me to a diverse group of professionals working in various business sectors and environments. The course has given me so much and many tools for my leadership journey. I think I now have a pretty good idea of what type of leader I am and would like to be.

I have had the pleasure of being taught by some of the most brilliant academics, best in their relevant fields. Some DCC colleagues that have gone through the course, and unknowingly became trusted mentors whom I used to call, sometimes just to sit and sigh about how much work I had on. In most cases, they helped with soft-marking my homework and giving me feedback. They gave their time and effort, something that I will forever be grateful for.

I have enjoyed doing this course; a very rewarding two years that have just flown by and the pains of studying are long forgotten because it was worth it. I have felt very supported all the way, and I am now looking forward to graduation day in December. Therefore, I say to any of you who are thinking about looking to undertake further development courses, be it an MBA or other development courses/ programmes, or just generally looking for a new challenge, this is a great way to do it because the organisation is super supportive.  It is a hard journey but a worthwhile journey of self-discovery, learning new soft skills, and meeting new people. And I will end with a disclaimer: it is a difficult balancing act – distance learning alongside your day job and personal life. But remember there is a wide network of experienced and willing mentors around our organisation who will make the journey a tad lighter.

Abi
Procurement Manager

Comments

Popular Posts