Meet the Apprentices - Tomorrow's Engineers Week

 


Leo - Civil Engineering Technician Apprentice 

My Journey started off when I left school, knowing that I wanted to do some sort of Engineering but not knowing which discipline to choose. I decided to go to college and chose Maths, Physics and Business to keep my options open, I thought this was the right route at the time. I would go to college, sit in a classroom for hours on end and then go work at my Part-time job in a Tesco express. I did this whilst gaining my driving license and buying my first car.


I got to the end of the year and decided that enough was enough and applied to a Level 3 Civil Engineering Apprenticeship at Devon County Council. I quickly got an e-mail saying my application was successful and I had been accepted for a 2 part interview consisting of a standard face to face interview stage and a presentation on Engineering. All seemed to go well as I explained how the Romans pioneered the first roads and before I knew it the interview was over, I felt like I had the luck on my side as two days before I passed my driving test. A few days passed, no response, then a week later the word came through that have been offered a job within the Major Highways team. My journey at DCC and as an engineer had started.


I was first invited to a visit at County Hall to not only meet my new colleagues and my principal but also give me an idea of what the job entails 2 weeks before I was due to start. Then before I knew, my start day was upon me, nervous but ready I entered my office for the first time and started my first week assisting with an estimate. We now move on to the present day, 2 months later I have been given 2 of my own schemes and am working on the A382 improvement scheme and have been out on site multiple times. I am really looking forward to my new career in engineering and cannot wait to see my projects under construction.

Leo

Civil Engineering Technician Apprentice 

Highway Design

 Twitter | Facebook Instagram Website 

Comments

Popular Posts