Apprentice to Professional

 Holly - Graduate Trainee Planner


Today is World Youth Skills Day! It's a day to celebrate the strategic importance of equipping young people with skills for employment, decent work, and entrepreneurship. Holly, Graduate Trainee Planner shares her experience of completing an apprenticeship and the skills she has developed since joining Devon County Council. 

I started my career at Devon County Council in 2020 as a Level 3 Business Administration Apprentice, working as a Finance Assistant in the Payments team. Completing the Business Admin apprenticeship gave me the relevant skills that I could then apply in the workplace, including project management, the use of different systems, and being aware of external factors that can affect the organisation. Having one day a week to complete my studies gave me the opportunity to gain a recognised qualification, whilst learning a host of transferable skills that I’ll be able to use throughout my career.

Since completing the Level 3 Business Administration Apprenticeship, I have now started a new role as a Graduate Trainee Planner in the Climate Change, Environment and Transport team. My current role gives me the opportunity to gain an insight in to what it’s like to be a Planner working for the minerals and waste local authority; I get to experience a real mix of working in the office and going to quarries and landfill sites all around Devon. My new role will also give me the opportunity to complete the Level 7 Chartered Town Planner Degree Apprenticeship at Plymouth University in September. Completing this apprenticeship will allow me to use the skills that I’ve learnt in the classroom and apply them to my role as a Trainee Planner.

Despite working from home for the majority of my career at Devon County Council, I’ve still been able to understand what it’s like to be an apprentice; it’s rewarding, challenging, motivating, inspiring and exciting! By being prepared to learn some new skills, I’ve been able to understand how valuable apprenticeships can be to upskill whilst continuing along our career paths.

Being an apprentice has also given me the opportunity to become a part of the South West Apprenticeship Ambassador Network (SWAAN). The network is a place where you can help to inspire students about apprenticeships who are maybe unsure about where to go next in their journey. I’ve been able to take part in a variety of events as an ambassador, from attending a virtual Q&A assembly to showing a day in my life on SWAAN’s Instagram page. I also volunteer as the Devon County Lead for the network, which has given me the opportunity to learn so many new skills, such as networking, public speaking, attending webinars, and developing my leadership skills; all of which have helped to improve my confidence and given me the relevant skills that I can carry with me throughout my career and helped me to get to where I am now.

Apprenticeships really are an amazing way to start your career or to upskill in the workplace. Completing an apprenticeship has allowed me to understand the progression that is available to new roles and higher-level apprenticeships, and I am now able to appreciate the array of skills and opportunities that apprenticeships have to offer.


Holly

Graduate Trainee Planner

Climate Change, Environment and Transport team

Twitter | Facebook Instagram Website  

Comments

Popular Posts