Meet the Apprentices

 Mason - Level 2 Customer Service Apprentice 


This week is Learning at Work Week which aims to put a spotlight on the importance and benefits of continual learning and development. The theme for 2022 is 'Learning Uncovered'. 


My name is Mason and I joined Devon County Council in April 2022 joining the Adult Social Care service in the Involvement Team as a Customer & Office Support Apprentice. I am completing a Level 2 Customer Service Practitioner Apprenticeship with Learn Devon.

I was looking for a change of career after working in Education in a Primary School for several years and found the role on the Devon Jobs website. After applying online, I completed a virtual interview through Microsoft Teams with my manager, and line manager.  My first day in the role was a smooth transition for me. My line manager met me at the entrance of County Hall and gave me a tour of the building explaining the different teams and service areas of the Council. I joined during the Easter Holidays so had the opportunity to meet my manager, and line manager but have gradually met the wider team one by one as the time has gone on. My team have weekly catch ups and meetings which made it easy to meet and get to know the team through that. My induction included various tasks like setting up my DCC account, setting up my working from home laptop to settle me into the role. Over the first week I completed mandatory training on the DEL (Devon E-Learning) website which helped me to have a better understanding of Devon County Council and how it operates. 

So far, I've had 3 sessions with my Apprenticeship tutor alongside other students completing similar apprenticeships to me, to introduce us to the training. We meet collectively once a month to discuss the unit topic and then work on tasks independently on our study days. Our tutor is available to offer support if we need more clarity or want to ask questions on the subject. My apprenticeship group consists of 4 other apprentices.  

As I only joined Devon County Council a month ago, I am still finding my feet in the role and what is to be expected of me; however, I am feeling more confident already in my abilities and IT skills such as setting up meetings on Outlook, displaying documents via screen sharing and using advanced email setting than I did previously before joining the team. The team is still mostly working from home, which means the office has been quieter when I am in but I look forward to being able to shadow my team more in the future to see how the role is done as I feel visual learning works best for me. 


Mason

Customer & Office Support Apprentice 

Involvement Team

Comments

Popular Posts