Next Step Apprenticeships

Camilla - Senior Leader Master's Degree

I began this MBA and senior leader apprenticeship with a clear idea of what I wanted to gain from it. Having already achieved an MSc I felt I had a good idea of the academic requirements, and I was confident that I could comfortably meet them.  At work I was supported by a connected team and a genuine belief in democracy, but I wanted to bring greater academic rigour and thinking to the development of the Scrutiny function at the County Council.

Cue March 2020 and embarking upon the apprenticeship journey spectacularly coinciding with the global pandemic! The uncertainty of lockdown, of home schooling my dyslexic daughter with no support or lessons from her school and working full time almost saw me quit the apprentice journey without really beginning.  I am very glad I didn’t.

In reaction to this experience, I gave myself permission to fully commit to the MBA, in a way I don’t think I did with any previous study. I used study to give me a degree of sanctuary from the uncertainty of the pandemic. This enabled me to feel comfortable with the necessary change at work. Moving from having a strong routine and long-standing bond with my team to solitary working, I could have felt adrift. I did not. I embraced remote working and worked with my team to help stay connected. The breadth of connections on the MBA from different spheres of business, with different perspectives and insight also widened my horizons.  This development coincided with much of the first module on the MBA on foundations of strategy and leadership. I found this module profound in the emphasis that it placed upon individual leadership through depth of personal understanding, and tools like journaling very helpful.

Home-schooling my daughter brought into sharp relief her struggles and in turn made me face my own. Through Exeter University I began to explore some of the challenges that I experience and through a gruelling process I was diagnosed as being neurodivergent. I can honestly say that this realisation has changed my life by enabling me to understand at a deep level my personal and vocational journey so far.  It has allowed me to celebrate some of my best qualities including my creativity, speed of analysis and desire to connect with people! Through better understanding, I have also forgiven my past mistakes and foot-faults.

There are many practical examples of knowledge that I will take from the MBA, the learning on innovation, in particular, will stay with me. I am certain that my contributions to my organisation through discussions on innovation with peers and senior officers will continue to have relevance. I will also take away a plethora of tools and strategies for analysis and strategy development, which I have already applied at work. I do feel that the greater academic exploration of themes at work has brought an improvement in thinking and my confidence to lead and champion them.  For example, sparking the conversation with Councillors about their purpose to encourage their strategic thinking when carrying out the policy development part of Scrutiny work.

Ultimately though as I come to the end of my MBA and apprentice journey I reflect upon the unlooked-for personal development and depth of understanding of myself that will now enable me to be the best leader I can be.  


Camilla 

Head of Scrutiny, Democratic Services & Scrutiny Secretariat

Comments

Popular Posts