Meet the Team

 International Women's Day - Kimberley 

What is International Women’s Day and why do we need to set aside one day a year to reflect on this special day?

Some countries have celebrated International Women’s Day since 1911, with The United Nations first officially recognising International Women’s Day in 1974.

A lot has changed since those early years and for many of you it is about raising awareness about equality, but it is also a day to encourage, motivate and celebrate the contribution that women make, not just in the workplace, but in all spheres of life.

When I first started out in my career in Air Traffic Control, I worked for 5 years within a team that was all men. Not only was I the youngest member of the team, I was also the only female. I really enjoyed the humour and their encouragement to be the best person that I could be. The work was varied and challenging, and often involved me driving around the airfield in a Land Rover, completing airfield inspections, bird scaring, and supporting pilots to complete their flight plans. My male colleagues helped me to thrive and supported me to succeed in a career that at the time was not seen as a traditional occupation for a woman.

I have also worked overseas, in Germany, the USA, Thailand and nearer to home, Wales, Northern Ireland and England. Every time I have found a new job opportunity, I have met some amazing people along the way. One of the big differences that I have found is that we in the UK, have a lot of freedom to choose our careers and our pathway in life, but many women from other countries do not. The fact that many school/college leavers say, I don’t know what career I want to do, means that you have the freedom to choose. Some women do not have this choice. Consider all your options and aspire to be the best person that you can be.

We can achieve. We can contribute, so let’s do this!

Happy International Women’s Day everyone!


Kimberley 

HR strategy and Performance Adviser 

 

Twitter | Facebook Website Instagram


 

Comments

Popular Posts