Meet the Apprentices

 Kayla - Civil Engineering Apprentice

Prior to working for Devon County council, I worked in the hospitality industry for nine years. Last year I decided I needed a complete career change. My passion for problem solving and environmental conservation led me towards a career in the Civil Engineering industry. I was also aware of the current Climate Emergency and that the engineering and the transport sector is a big contributor to emissions and climate change. Changing the way the sector work could have a huge effect on making a difference to the Climate Emergency.

I decided to apply for the DCC Civil Engineering apprenticeship and having successfully completing the recruitment process, I joined the Engineering Design Group (EDG) with in the Bridge Design Team in October 2021.

At EDG most of the construction projects are worked from conception to completion. During the concept and planning stages of projects I have assisted engineers to progress by undertaking studies, collecting data (including records of electric, gas, telecoms, and water services within our sites), topographical surveys and arranging associated works, such as geotechnical investigations and booking temporary traffic management. As part of my role, I have also gotten involved in producing drawings using CAD and shadowing engineers whilst undertaking bridge and retaining wall inspections.

For those of you that feel that you may not be qualified enough, that it’s too late for a career change or have no idea what any of the above task’s entail– don’t let this put you off. Six months ago, I had little to no incite of the primary duties required of me, but with the support of the apprenticeship I have received continuous guidance and feel fully confident in the work tasks that I have set out to complete.

Being able to work and study part time has been greatly beneficial for developing my understanding of the industry and has allowed me to directly relate my studies to my work. DCC has also provided multiple workshop and training opportunities that have furthered my capabilities and awareness, a few of which have looked at providing sustainable solutions.

It’s a great privilege to be able to work alongside such knowledgeable engineers and has been crucial to my career development along with feeling like a valued member of the team. I can guarantee that being part of a career field that is always developing and reinventing itself can be highly rewarding! Working for DCC you will meet likeminded, passionate people who want to make a difference to this beautiful county. If you share this same passion for the built environment with me then I highly recommend you look at choosing the Apprenticeship to pursue Civil Engineering as a career path.


Kayla

Civil Engineering Apprentice

Structures Design


Comments

Popular Posts