Apprentice to Professional

 Karl - Engineer



I joined Devon County Council from the private sector in September 2015 as a Higher Apprentice Civil Engineer starting out in the Bridge Maintenance department within the Engineering Design Group.

I successfully gained a permanent role as an Assistant Engineering Technician in 2017 and have since been lucky enough to be able to continue to develop my skills and experience, undertaking different roles within the structures department whilst also attending College and then University part time.

In October 2021, I successfully graduated with a First-Class Honours degree in Civil Engineering whilst also becoming a fully-fledged Engineer at Devon County Council.

Although studying part time whilst holding down a full-time job was hard work, which required dedication and motivation, the Apprenticeship programme that Devon County Council offer is second to none and was definitely the right route for me instead of attending University full time. The ability to learn on the job whilst working alongside a supportive network of colleagues and friends helped me to develop, grow and is ultimately the reason for where I am today.

Personally, the apprenticeship provided me with the opportunity to gain invaluable on the job experience working alongside professionals within my industry but also the ability to grow in confidence whilst earning a decent salary with no debt! The challenges I have been provided with to date have enabled me to progress quickly into the role I am in today, where I have a lot more responsibility. During my time at Devon, I have been lucky enough to have carried out different roles including the delivery of bridge and retaining wall related engineering projects, the role of bridges and structures inspector and now responsible for managing the delivery of a new railway station in Devon.

I would strongly recommend undertaking an Apprenticeship for anyone who is unsure as to whether attending University is right for them. Devon County Council offer amazing and a diverse range of career developing opportunities, whilst also supporting and pushing you every step of the way.

Karl 

Engineer 

Structures Design

Twitter | Facebook Website Instagram


Comments

Popular Posts