Apprentice to Professional

Rowan -  Assistant Planning Officer


I joined Devon County Council in 2016 as an apprentice planning technician. I predominately worked in the Development Management team which deals with planning applications and also strategically plans for the County’s future. After a few months, I secured a full time permanent job as a Planning Technician. My apprenticeship meant I had to study with Taunton College one day a week for two years, in order to secure a BTEC Level 3 & NVQ in Town Planning.

Once I had finished my apprenticeship, I had a number of years where I progressed in my job by securing different roles and developing my career.  I also continued studying, this time with the Open University in order to prepare me for my next adventure – a Masters Degree in Chartered Town Planning under an apprenticeship scheme.

I started this in September 2020 with Plymouth University, due to Covid the course was predominately delivered online, with a handful of lectures in person. I have now completed my first year, which I found tough and overwhelming, especially working full time. However, now the first year is over I feel extremely proud of myself and grateful to have had such fantastic support from my managers and colleagues. I still have another year and a half left until I complete the apprenticeship. Once complete, I will have a masters degree in Chartered Town Planning and I will be in a position to progress even further in my career as a town planner.

Devon County Council offer fantastic career development opportunities and are keen to support their employees where possible.


Rowan 

Assistant Planning Officer

Planning Development Management  

Twitter | Facebook Website Instagram


Comments

Popular Posts