Millie's Return to School

 

Millie's Return to School
(The Kings School, Ottery St Mary)



Last week Millie, a Procurement Graduate Apprentice for Southern Construction Framework, was invited back to her alma mater to discuss her career progression through the Devon County Council Apprenticeship Scheme.

On 8th July 2021 I was fortunate to be invited back to my former secondary school to host a talk with Year 10’s about my career journey and current role within Devon County Council.

As a Graduate Apprentice for Southern Construction Framework (SCF) I was asked to discuss what my further education and career journey had looked like so far, as well as linking to one of our current projects, St Sidwells Point, which has been the main source of work experience activities for the students during this year.

The students asked some insightful questions about what my current role as a Procurement Graduate Apprentice entails, as well as wanting to know more about my time as a student! Being asked to discuss my career development was an experience I didn’t think I’d be asked to do so quickly out of University, however with the exposure I’ve had since coming into my new role I felt confident that I could provide an insightful talk.

Alongside the training I am currently doing with CIPS through Devon County Council, I have also been invited to seminars and discussions with those in the wider construction industry, and from different areas of Devon County Council. Sharing the experiences I’ve been provided with to the students has made me realise how fortunate I am to be in the current role; and, thanks to the support I also received from those in the DCC apprenticeship team I was able to confidentially speak to the students about the different developmental career opportunities that could be obtained through the council. In addition, speaking about SCF and our links to the project (St Sidwells Point) has hopefully shown the different industries council careers can involve, and how there really is an option for everyone.

I look forward to returning to the school again in the future and hopefully encouraging the next set of students to apply for roles within the council.


Millie 

SCF Procurement Graduate Apprentice

 Twitter | Facebook Instagram Website 


 

Comments

Popular Posts