Meet the Team

  Ellen England - Employability & Partnership Co-Ordinator




Hi everyone, I’m Ellen and I joined the Step Forward team in January 2021 as an Employability and Partnership Co-Ordinator, I work with Steve Lawton and we sit within the Apprenticeship team. Step Forward is Devon County Council’s employability programme for care experienced young people between 16-25. We offer personalised programmes and support individuals to improve their employability skills and find employment, education or training that fits with their aspirations.

For the last 4 or so years I have been working in the housing sector in different roles, most recently on an emergency housing project and supporting care leavers at risk of homelessness. Whilst in this role, I was able to understand the importance of holistic and personalised support in relation to positive outcomes for young people. Working with care experienced young people is what I am passionate about and that’s what lead me to applying for a role with Step Forward.

It has been a strange time to join the Council, my first day was just after the third lockdown in the UK, this means I have only met my manager and my colleague Steve face to face. Starting a new job virtually has been interesting and challenging in some ways. Many of my previous roles have been customer/ people facing, so I didn’t really know what to expect! Luckily, I had an excellent induction and time was made for introductions to colleagues and other professionals over video calls which helped me to feel connected and part of the team.

It amazes me that Step Forward has still managed to continue during the pandemic, the adaptive attitude of staff and resilience of the young people is inspiring, and I really believe this kind of programme is needed now more than ever. As a team we can’t wait to get out there more and meet young people face to face and provide them with the 1:1 support they deserve.

I look forward to what we can achieve in partnership with other services and employers for care experienced young people throughout Devon. If you know of anyone that would benefit from getting involved with Step Forward, please get in touch: humnres.stepforward-mailbox@devon.gov.uk 


Ellen England

Employability & Partnership Co-Ordinator

https://linktr.ee/DCC_Apprenticeships 


 


Comments

Popular Posts