Meet the Apprentices

  Maddie - Civil Engineering Apprentice



Over the past three years I have been lucky enough to work as an Apprentice Civil Engineering Technician in the Special Projects Team within Devon County Council’s Engineering Design Group. In this team, a large proportion of the schemes we work on relate to work in recycling centres and flood alleviation.  My role has given me a fantastic opportunity to gain hands on experience of working in a civil engineering role whilst studying first for an HNC and now for a Degree in Civil Engineering at South Devon College University Centre.

The decision to embark on a career in Civil Engineering was somewhat last minute, as my plan throughout my A-Level studies was to go to University to study Geography.  However, during the summer of 2018, between finishing my A-Levels and starting at University, I was made aware of Devon County Council’s Apprenticeship Scheme and the chance to join the Engineering Design Group as a Level 4 ‘Construction Site Engineering Technician’ Apprentice.  Through undertaking research into what Civil Engineering encompassed, my interest in the profession was sparked and I thought that it was something I might be good at.  Furthermore, the concept of studying whilst gaining on the job experience appealed to me as I felt it would suit my learning style better than studying full time at University.  I therefore applied for the Level 4 Apprenticeship and, despite having no prior engineering experience, I managed to successfully secure the post.  Since starting in 2018, I have never looked back!

Since starting at Devon County Council I have thoroughly enjoyed combining my studies with the hands-on experience that I gain through my job.  My knowledge and confidence have increased as my studies feed into my role at work and vice versa.   It was in my first week in the job that I was given my first project to manage which was the resurfacing of a local recycling centre which was somewhat daunting to say the least! However, with the support and guidance I received from my Line Manager, my Mentor and the rest of the team I was able to get stuck into the task and to complete this and further projects.

My Level 4 Apprenticeship took two years to complete and required me to study for an HNC at South Devon College, for which I achieved a Distinction.  Upon achieving my academic qualification last summer, I was required to sit an End-Point Assessment which doubled-up as Professional Review to become a qualified Engineering Technician with the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE).  For this review, I was required to firstly submit a report providing evidence of how I demonstrated key attributes set out by the ICE.  I then had to prepare and deliver a presentation in response to a Technical Project Brief.  Finally, I had to undergo a 45-minute interview which was based on my written report submission.  This was a fairly involved process, made especially hard given that I had to do it remotely.  I was therefore thrilled when I found out that I had passed!

I have since secured a permanent position within the Special Projects Team and progressed on to a Level 6 ‘Civil Engineering Site Management’ Degree Level Apprenticeship, of which I have two more years left to complete.  I consider that one of the main benefits of completing this apprenticeship is that it provides me with a broader, more rounded knowledge base.  Formal study stretches me and introduces me to areas of the profession which I may not have had the opportunity to encounter through my day to day work.

I feel extremely lucky to have had the opportunity so far to work for DCC and gain a wealth of valuable experience whilst studying for my HNC and Degree.  I feel that I have learnt so much in such a short period of time and gained confidence in all aspects of my work from my written communication, to designing simple schemes.  My aspiration is to become a Chartered Engineer with the ICE and subsequently progress my career at DCC.


Maddie 

Civil Engineering Apprentice

 Twitter | Facebook Instagram Website 


 

Comments

Popular Posts