Meet the Apprentices

 Jo Guest - Apprentice PA & Admin Support to Senior Leadership Team


Back in June 2019 I wanted to return to office work. I had a decade of knowledge in administration, but from 15 years previously…. how was I going to gain experience of new processes and software to be proficient in a current office environment?

I looked on the Devon Jobs website and noticed an advertisement for apprentices. The prospect sounded perfect; the opportunity to gain a qualification alongside practical and relevant work experience. But weren’t apprenticeships for school leavers? Surely at 50 ¾ I was far too old?

My ancient fingers telephoned the Devon County Council Apprentice Team, I spoke to a lovely lady who quelled my concerns and encouraged me to apply.

To my surprise and delight, I was appointed as a higher-level apprentice within the Leadership Support Team, working alongside my amazing mentor, Clair Walker, as apprentice PA to Mary Davis the County Treasurer.

I've been given so many opportunities during my apprenticeship. Alongside the day to day work, I've been involved in planning a whole Devon Finance Services Event, promoting apprenticeships at the National Apprenticeship Show, creating a new service wide newsletter and the design and analysis of Wellbeing Surveys.  I’ve also had an article published in Inside Devon and become a 365 champion.

Taking part in the Volunteer Challenge provided me the opportunity to work alongside the other Leadership Support Team apprentices and give something back to the charity that I had worked at previously, when we painted a mural on the wall of Learn to Live in Exeter where young adults with complex needs are supported.


I had completed less than a year of my apprenticeship when Covid-19 hit. This meant the change from being in the office every day to working at home full-time, which has brought with it its own challenges. I didn’t need to worry; Devon County Council is an inclusive environment. My mentor Clair, manager Rob Allen, Finance Leadership, Finance colleagues, apprenticeship assessor and the wider Leadership Support Team have all supported me throughout.

Being an apprentice has offered no barriers to collaboration. In fact, quite the opposite; I believe that knowing I'm an apprentice has meant that management and colleagues have searched me out to offer opportunities where I can advance in learning and experience.

I'm in the last third of my apprenticeship now. At the end I will have gained an NVQ4 and BTEC qualification in Business and Administration. Studying has been hard work, but it's been worth it.

People are often taken aback when I tell them that I'm an apprentice; the misconception is that you will be just out of education.

My advice to anyone who is considering an apprenticeship regardless of age, would be – Go for it!

I haven’t regretted it for a moment.


Jo Guest

Apprentice PA & Admin Support


Comments

Popular Posts