Apprentice to Professional

Charlotte - Highway Services Team Manager 


After finishing college in 2014 I had no idea what to do next and which career path I wished to pursue. I didn’t feel university would suit my learning style and I did not wish to incur student debt. I was made aware of Devon County Council’s Apprenticeship Scheme by a family member who had himself completed the scheme and secured a permanent job. I searched the internet looking for interesting jobs and came across an advertisement for the Apprenticeship Scheme which was a perfect opportunity for me to learn and earn a salary at the same time. I successfully secured a job within Highways and have never looked back.


During the first two years at DCC I completed Level 2 and 3 Business Administration which provided me with the skills I needed to help me progress within my job role. The experience I gained varied from customer service to understanding employer organisations. It also enabled me to work as part of a team with fellow apprentices who were going through the same journey as myself. During the apprenticeship I gained new skills and knowledge which allowed me to secure a permanent position within the Highway Services Team as an Assistant and Coordinator.

 

After securing a new role within my team in 2017, as a Project Officer, I was ready for a new challenge and I was keen to further my education in order to progress my career in Highways. An opportunity came up to undertake Level 3 Leadership and Management at Exeter College. With the support of my department and manager I started this course in April 2018.

 

This course has enabled me to develop new skills and expertise in a variety of areas including Budgets, Project Management and the Principles of Leadership and Management. We had weekly sessions at Exeter College and I also had to complete 20% off the job training which included further training, and to put into practice the skills we had learnt. I completed this course with a distinction which I am very proud of.

 

With support from my team, I was able to put into practice the skills I had recently learnt and assisted in the employment process and managed an Apprentice who has also recently secured a permanent position.


By undertaking apprenticeships, it has provided me with the experience which has increased my confidence to apply for new opportunities when they arise. So much so I am now a Team Manager within the Highway Services team, which sees me oversee Communications and Engagement and line manage a team of 7.  Then in September 2021 I returned to education again with Exeter College, this time to undertake the Level 5 Leadership and Management apprenticeship. This course has enabled me to develop new skills which I have then been able to implement in my role.


When I first started DCC back in 2014, if someone had told me where I would be now, I would not have believed them. I could not have got to where I am today without the support from my colleagues in Highways and the Apprenticeship Team.


Charlotte

Highways Services Team Manager

Highways Services

Twitter | Facebook Website Instagram


Comments

Popular Posts