Life under lockdown as an Apprentice

Life under Lockdown as an Apprentice 


As the UK went into lockdown on Monday 23rd March, my role as an Apprenticeships Administrator at Devon County Council has changed significantly. I am fortunate that my role allows me to work from home and my employer has agreed to us borrowing IT equipment from the office to ensure we are able to work from home effectively during this time.

Whilst still undertaking essential apprenticeship work, I have been trained in new processes to support our payroll and recruitment team within the HR department. This included learning the process for inputting new starters onto the Council’s HR management system and supporting the recruitment team, alongside Proud to Care on a campaign to recruit Healthcare Assistants and other vital roles because of COVID-19. Proud to Care work with local councils and the NHS across the care and health sector to support organisations with recruitment and raise awareness of the range of different job opportunities within the sector. Those interested in becoming a Healthcare Assistant, register through the Proud to Care website.

Alongside my role I am also undertaking a Level 3 HR Support apprenticeship with Exeter College. Usually, on a Thursday I would attend college but due to the closure of schools, childcare and other educational settings, I am now being supported to study and work remotely. My college provided apprentices with a remote working guide and I am in regular contact with my tutor and assessor. Being a smaller group, my tutor has arranged for us to start having ‘virtual lessons’ through Microsoft Teams after Easter break which I am looking forward to! We have already been provided with additional resources on the College’s ‘Moodle’ portal and I have purchased a course book recommended by my tutor to help me with my studies.

My wider team have been making use of the technology we have at Devon County Council to stay in touch and receive regular updates through Microsoft teams, especially as we are all working on different projects now. The Apprenticeship team have been arranging short weekly ‘virtual tea breaks’ where we spend time catching up informally. 

Microsoft Teams Meeting

I have been making full use of technology in my personal life to stay connected with other people. My partner and I have been living at our home during lockdown which means I’m not able to see my family, so instead we have been catching up over video calls on WhatsApp. On Saturday nights, my friends and I have been taking it in turns to host a Zoom quiz night and we started it off with a quiz of 2019. I have also been enjoying going for a daily walk around the countryside by our home and learning how to cook some new vegan dishes! 
I continue to take each day as it comes during these unpredictable times and hope everyone is keeping safe.

Amy Kyme
Apprenticeships Administrator 



Comments

Popular Posts