Next Step Apprenticeships



Sally Burt - Leadership and Management Apprentice


Sally Burt (Right) Management Apprentice 2018/19

I have been working for Devon County Council since 2000 in various roles and have previously completed the AAT qualification and CMI Level 3 Management qualification.  When I saw information about the Next Steps Apprenticeships I was very interested and, supported by my then line manager I sent an expression of interest.

I was delighted when I was approved on the ILM Level 5 course at Petroc in Tiverton.  I started the course in September 2018, attending college for 2 days once a month while working as a Support Officer within Early Help and gaining evidence towards my portfolio during the 20% ‘off the job’ training as well as completing the four assignments during the first year.  It was daunting initially but the other students on the course, from DCC and other private and public sector organisations, were very supportive.  It was to become a great forum to share knowledge and my confidence soon grew assisted by regularly putting myself out of my comfort zone, including a role play where I had a role-played (but very realistic!) job interview by a panel of 3 fellow students in front of the rest of the class.

I started to line manage an apprentice to support me with my course and gain valuable experience and in April 2019 I was appointed as Business Manager within Public Health where I have been able to continue putting into practice my learning and use evidence from my line management role to support my qualification.

I am so pleased I started the Apprenticeship, I have gained so much personally and professionally and hope to progress within the organisation further.  In January 2020 I was awarded the Petroc Tiverton Management Apprentice of the Year Award which I was very proud to receive.  I am due to finish my Apprenticeship in November 2020 and am really excited about my future career within Devon County Council.

Sally Burt
Business Manager - Public Health Devon

Comments

Popular Posts