Meet the Apprentices

Ian Chance - Apprentice Finance Administrator



My job title is Apprentice Finance Administrator and I have been working at DCC for Five months.

I completed three years studies at Petroc College Tiverton.

During my last year I completed a Supported Internship Programme, which included on-the-job training. I had an interest in computers and was offered a work placement within the Finance Team at DCC where I gained employability, confidence and social interaction skills.

I was offered a 2 year Supported Apprenticeship, which is for young people aged 16-24 with a learning disability, who want to get a job. 

I felt well prepared to take on the Apprenticeship and I was very proud to be offered the chance to complete an Apprenticeship with Devon County Council.

I understood it was an opportunity to learn the skills required to do the job whilst getting paid and gaining a NVQ in Business Administration.

I have worked in three departments within County Hall: Revenue and Cashiers, Payments and Accounts Payable.

My main tasks are: Invoice Processing and checking Creditor Name errors. 

I am well supported by my manager, work colleagues, the college, my job coach, my P.A and my Foster Carers. They have all helped me to feel more confident to start working more independently. 

Having completed five mouths of my Apprenticeship I now feel that I am a lot more confident in social situations. I now find it easier to look at people when I am in conversation with them. The Apprenticeship has also helped me with my weekly budgeting. I sometimes find time scales challenging but am working to improve in this area.

I like to feel that I have contributed, and it gives me a sense of achievement. 

I really enjoy working as part of a team and like to feel useful. 

My confidence has improved and I have now taken my driving test and passed. 

My aim is to work at County Hall full time. 

Ian Chance
Apprentice Finance Administrator - Accounts Payable
Twitter | Facebook | Website | Instagram


Comments

Popular Posts