Meet the Apprentices


Kane Wilton – The Virtual School Apprentice




I’m Kane and I recently started an apprenticeship in Business Administration with the Virtual School at Devon County Council.

Growing up in care was difficult at times, with people not always believing in me. I left school and tried to get an apprenticeship, but no one would even consider me as I didn’t have the best qualifications and I was in the care system. I started to look for a job and after a long while I was taken on in a part-time role, but I still felt like no one understood me and what I had been through.

My PA (Personal Advisor) Bryn told me about an employability programme and helped me get in touch with them. I met with Alicia, a Programme Co-Ordinator, who got to know me, so she knew how to best support me and what sort of industry I was looking to join. Step Forward listened, helped me to update my CV, updated me when jobs were advertised so that I could apply and helped me build my confidence. I attended a couple of interviews where I was unsuccessful, but I kept belief and so did Alicia and her team.

Eventually, an opportunity came up in the Virtual School where I was invited to a meeting and got offered the chance to start an apprenticeship. I haven’t been here very long, but I feel so much better in myself as Step Forward and Devon County Council have been great.

I would recommend Step Forward/Step In to anyone, they are so supportive and great. A big thank you to Step Forward and DCC.

As part of the #DearFutureMe campaign, launched in celebration of National Care Leavers Week 2019, I would tell my future self to keep believing in yourself as there are people out there who care and want to help.


Kane Wilton
The Virtual School Apprentice


Comments

Popular Posts