Meet the Team



Apprenticeship Advisers – Gemma Vine & Tracey Mills 


Tracey and Gemma are the Apprenticeship Advisers based in the Apprenticeship Team. They manage the Council’s apprenticeship programmes, including Step In, a programme for new apprentices joining the Council and Next Step a programme supporting existing staff to undertake apprenticeships. In addition, they manage Step Forward, an employability programme for care leavers. Read on to find out more about them;

Gemma

Hi everyone, I started my career as an apprentice in 2004 with the NHS. As an apprentice I completed a business administration qualification. In 2005 I got a job with Devon County Council, never thinking I would still be here 14 years later. During those 14 years I have moved around the HR department, securing various new roles and promotions along the way. I have studied several HR related qualifications finally going on to achieve a Masters in 2011 (without gaining any student debt!).  My most recent move was in 2017 to my Apprenticeship Adviser role, job sharing with Tracey. I undertake this role alongside an operational HR role, supporting schools across the County.

Starting my career as an apprentice myself, has given me a real passion for the benefits of apprenticeships and what can be achieved via this route. I love my role as an Apprenticeship Adviser seeing people achieve, gain new skills and develop. As part of my role I manage the running and development of Step Forward, an employability programme for care leavers. This has been a massive learning curve for me, but it is great to be part of supporting young people and seeing how life changing securing employment can be. As with any job there are bits I would rather not have to do (don’t tell my manager!), but the variety in the role makes these, not so fun tasks, easier to do.

One of the best parts of the role is working with such a great team, all passionate about apprenticeships and employability. Job sharing with Tracey has been great. Tracey has been working directly with apprenticeships a lot longer than myself, so her experience and knowledge is invaluable. We work so well together the team have joked we are merging in to one person and we have got the nickname Trem!

Tracey

Hi everyone, as Gemma mentioned I have been involved in apprenticeships for a little while now as I started managing the Council’s apprenticeship programme in 2007. Before that I had been working at the Council for four years in various roles in recruitment and HR and was excited to get involved in apprenticeships and developing new employment/development opportunities.  

I have taken advantage of numerous development opportunities over the years including gaining two NVQs, assessor and trainer qualifications, Occupational Testing qualifications, ILMs in Coaching & Mentoring and Leadership & Management, as well as attending other in-house training and development activities. It is great to work for an employer who invests in its staff and I feel lucky to have had the career and development opportunities I have had.

I thoroughly enjoy working in apprenticeships and I am proud of the apprenticeship programme we offer. My favourite part of the role has been working alongside apprentices to develop their skills and confidence, and it is very rewarding to see them achieve their qualifications as well as supporting them in applying for and securing employment with DCC. There have been a lot of changes in the world of apprenticeships over the last couple of years. It is exciting to have now been joined by Gemma and our administrator Amy, as it enables us to expand our apprenticeship offer further and develop more opportunities for new and existing staff.

Our team are very passionate about apprenticeships and work extremely hard. We have a great team morale and I am very thankful I work with such a dedicated group of people.


If you are interested in finding out more about apprenticeships at Devon County Council visit devon.cc/apprenticeship and follow us on Facebook and Twitter


Gemma Vine & Tracey Mills
Apprenticeship Advisers


Comments

Popular Posts