Apprentice to Professional

Alex Rowe - Senior Intelligence Officer



I have always lived on the coastline in Devon so I was seeking a flexible job that would allow me to have a career in Exeter whilst still living in a more rural area, enjoying the countryside and beaches. Devon County Council’s flexible working policies and numerous office bases seemed like the perfect match.

I began my career in the Trading Standards Service team as an apprentice in 2010. As part of my apprenticeship I studied towards an NVQ Level 2 and 3 in Business Administration whilst at the same time gaining experience in the different areas that Trading Standards had to offer. The support given to me by the apprenticeship team and my manager allowed me to successfully complete my NVQ, grow in confidence and establish myself as a valued member of the Trading Standards Service. My varied role included working on Petroleum and Explosive licencing, maintaining databases and visiting and inspecting local businesses.

Before my 2 year apprenticeship ended I was employed permanently as a Trading Standards Officer, and soon started to study towards the Trading Standards professional qualifications whilst working in the Compliance team. This role involved investigating complaints against businesses, liaising with enforcement partners and advising businesses of their legal responsibilities.

I worked in several different teams to gather the required experience and decided on a career in the newly formed Intelligence Unit. I am now a qualified Trading Standards Officer having completed my Diploma in Consumer Affairs and Trading Standards and was recently successful in securing a new position as a Senior Intelligence Officer. My role is to ensure the service is intelligence led, targeting resources at the issues causing the highest consumer and business detriment.
Alex Rowe
Senior Intelligence Officer 


Comments

Popular Posts