Meet the Apprentices

Abigail Ruse - Digital Technology Apprentice


It was studying ICT at A-Level and developing my skills, that I realised a career in ICT was something I wanted to progress. I began to explore different options and when I discovered that DCC were advertising for a Digital Technology Apprentice on the Devon Jobs website, I applied straight away. After attending an interview day, I was offered the job and therefore joined the Partnership and Architecture team in ICT Commissioning in September 2018. 

After my first few weeks working, I realised I had found a job that I love and makes look forward to going to work every day. I instantly felt like part of the team and have received great support and guidance from everyone. Being told that ‘the only silly question is the question that you don’t ask’, I quickly picked up on the tasks and roles of the job. I have learnt so many new things in my time in the role so far and have even become a Champion in my wider team for Office365. I am really looking forward to the future in my job role and developing my skills further. 

Being a new employee with the council, I was invited to a ‘Welcome to Devon’ day. Here I was able to meet all the new employees and apprentices that started at a similar time to me. I learnt about what they do day-to-day in their job roles and more about my employer. I found this experience rewarding as I was able to build relationships with colleagues that I otherwise probably wouldn’t have met, and we could share our different experiences. 

My apprenticeship involves the completion of a university degree at the University of Exeter; the course is called ‘BSc (Hons) Digital Technology Solutions’. After my initial two weeks at County Hall, I began my degree and attended a university residential week on campus. As my course is predominately distance learning, at the start of the term they run a week based on campus to get to know your lecturers and start to study the course. I was also able to mix with other students, including employees from BT, Rolls Royce, IBM and Renshaw. 


Every Monday, since my residential week in September, I have had a study day where I attend an Adobe Connect workshop with my lecturers and peers and have time to study and complete assignments that I have been given. I find that having a designated day to just think about my studies is very helpful and allows me to focus on my work at County Hall the rest of the week. In my first term, September to December, I studied Business Organisation and Interpersonal and Foundation Skills and since the new year I have been studying Information and Data and Systems Development. I have really enjoyed my course so far and have found that what I am learning is helpful in my role. I am looking forward to seeing what else I will learn and how this will translate into my day-to-day work.   

It wasn’t until starting work and met the Apprenticeship Administrator that I realised I was the first Step In degree level apprentice. I would recommend undertaking an apprenticeship at any level at DCC to anyone as it allows valuable learning on the job experience whilst developing academic knowledge and the chance to earn a wage whilst studying. Since working for DCC I have found that there are so many benefits different benefits, for example flexible working, meaning that I sometimes work from home or start and leave early to fit work around other commitments. In addition, there are different social events, such as a volleyball club, and volunteering opportunities, where for example I have helped with a Votes for Women event to signify 100 years that women have had the vote.


Abigail Ruse
Digital Technology Apprentice

Comments

Popular Posts