Meet the Apprentices

Rob Daley - Apprentice Ranger 


Hi, I’m Robert Daley and I’m the apprentice for Stover Country Park and local nature reserve, and at the Grand Western Canal in Tiverton. 



I have been in my apprenticeship since October and I am studying my NVQ 2 in environmental conservation at Kingston Maurward College in Dorset. I’ve really enjoyed my course so far even though I must travel up on my weekends which takes several hours as there is no direct link. I have also visited places on my course such as Corfe castle, Wareham forest and Studland heath all of which I’ve never seen before! 


Before I got this apprenticeship, I was studying site carpentry and joinery at South Devon College for 3 years. I really enjoyed carpentry, but I found it very hard to enter the business as a professional carpenter as I could not find an employer to take me on. So, I was looking for other opportunities and was interested in the countryside sector. 

My role at Stover Country Park and Grand Western Canal is as an apprentice ranger.  
So far at Stover I’ve been involved with tree planting, strimming and brush cutting, helping with school groups, guided walks and visitors. I enjoyed helping my colleagues and volunteers build a boardwalk over the marsh section of the park. I’ve also gained my first aid, brush cutter and Kubota training certificate. I also have duties as an apprentice to do work at another site owned by Devon County Council called the Grand Western Canal in Tiverton, Devon. 

My work load there consists of various tasks such as strimming towpaths, towpath maintenance, log deliveries and hedge cutting. I have also driven the barge boat used for coppicing back willows and for branch removal. I’ve joined the Countryside Management Association and have attended a training day at Durlston Country Park. It was useful to hear other rangers’ opinions and ideas. 

I enjoy my apprenticeship very much and I feel very valued as a member of staff. I feel as if I have achieved so much since October. 

Laura Whitehouse, Rob’s manager had this to say:

“Rob has been working at the Stover Country Park and Grand Western Canal for the past four months. Rob has fitted in with both teams extremely well and is assisting with a wide range of tasks. His NVQ Level 2 in Environmental Conservation slots in perfectly with the management of both Parks, enabling Rob to achieve practical hands-on experience along with theoretical study. The benefit to both busy Parks is additional help with the maintenance tasks along with any visiting schools and public events. Rob is a huge help and has in turn achieved a wide range of skills in a relatively short space of time.”


Rob Daley
Apprentice Ranger 

Comments

Popular Posts