Apprentice to Professional

Alison Balsdon - Planning Technician 


Whilst studying for my A-levels, I had come to think that university was the only way forward for the types of subjects I was studying. However, as the deadline for applying to university was drawing close, I was completely unsure as to what I would study and whether any courses interested me. This is where I started to look into apprenticeships.

I had not planned on becoming a town planner, however after talking to DCC at a careers fair, I became aware of a Town Planning Apprenticeship. After this, I began to investigate the role and when DCC advertised for a new Town Planning Apprentice, I applied straight away. After attending the assessment day, I was offered the job and therefore joined the School Place Planning team in September 2017.

As an apprentice, I had no idea what the job really entailed but from the great support and guidance from the team, I quickly picked up on the tasks and roles of the job. During my apprenticeship I also attended college once a fortnight where I would build on the practical work at DCC and look in more detail at the academic side of planning. I was also able to mix with other town planning students including employees from city councils and The Environment Agency.


After being at DCC for a year, I was given the opportunity to move onto an Open University module to take my learning forward. As well as this I applied for and became a permanent employee as a Planning Technician. Since starting my new role, I have been able to build experience in other areas of the planning team including strategic and development management work. This really emphasis the range of opportunities within planning and across the council.

I would recommend DCC’s apprenticeship scheme to anyone who is only applying to university because it seems like the only form of career progression. Apprenticeships allow you to gain experience and academic knowledge at the same time as earning and still allow you to gain university level qualifications.


Alison Balsdon
Planning Technician



Comments

Popular Posts