Meet the Apprentices

Molly Grenfell - Office Support Apprentice


My Experience as an Apprentice so far….  
After searching for business administration apprenticeships across Devon, seeing the vacancy on the Devon Jobs website (Check out the site for yourself - https://www.devonjobs.gov.uk/) caught my eye immediately as it’s everything I’ve wanted. University didn’t appeal to me due to my motivation to work full time rather than study full time. University would stunt my ability to work full time and gain on-the-job experience, as well as the hefty student loan debt at the end of it. I strongly think the apprenticeship route is a better way of kick starting a career. You get into a routine immediately of working full time, learning on the job skills and experience as well as working towards a qualification. An apprenticeship allows the employer to shape the apprentice into the worker they need for their department, whilst continuously benefiting the employer and employee due to the learnt skills at work and the qualification outside of working conditions.

The Recruitment Process
After completing a thorough online application, I was invited to an assessment day alongside another 15 or so people, and we completed an assessment booklet which took around 45 minutes. After this time was up, our booklets were taken to be marked, while we waited we watched a presentation about the type of vacancies that were available and in which departments. 
After this we found out if we had passed the assessment. Managers of all the different departments were stood around different noticeboards of information regarding their department and we were able to talk to the managers about what their departments do and what part we would play if we were hired into their department. It was a great way to ask all the questions we had and to meet current apprentices and ask them questions about their experience. After meeting the managers, it also made the interview process less daunting as it wasn’t the first time I had met and spoke to the managers which made me less anxious during the interview. 
After a week of waiting for a telephone call I was invited to an interview with my two most preferred departments, Customer Relations and Customer Service.
I was extremely nervous the days leading up to my interview and the day of my interview I was terrified, but by being interviewed by familiar faces of the managers who I have met and spoke to before it made me a lot calmer and the interview was more successful than it would have been because of this. I was asked a series of questions by three interviewers who were all friendly and lifted the situation from what would normally be stressful and scary to a comfortable and exciting interview. 
After the interview, I had a phone call and was overjoyed to hear I was offered both of the roles to choose from! I decided to choose Customer Relations and I had 4 weeks until I started.

My First Week
On the first week I shadowed my line manager while we set up everything I would need while working in this particular department. I met the whole team who were all really welcoming (they even brought me a birthday card in the same week!), after a week of shadowing and understanding what will be expected of me, I started to learn small parts of the job (e.g. Using the printer, sending letters, filing etc.). My line manager wanted to take it all slightly slowly in order not to overwhelm me with information which was really helpful. 

My Second Week
During the second week, I was shown how to carry out slightly harder jobs. Whilst being shown the jobs I worked with my colleagues to put together step by step guide on how to do certain jobs so that I could refer back to them at a later time. And now on my third week I am into a routine on jobs whilst having the ability to refer back to the process documents, which is really helpful and enables me to work independently.
I have also attended an introductory lesson to my qualification, where I was able to meet my assessors and the other apprentices who are in the same position as me. I also now understand what units we will be covering throughout the year, while doing my level 2 Business Administration qualification, and all the resources which are put in place to support our learning. 
 At the time I didn’t realise just how great Devon Count Council would be as an employer. I heard during the assessment day some of the employee benefits, but there are many I’m still finding out each day. The large salary offered to the apprentices at Devon County Council itself represents how they genuinely care for their staff here, the national minimum salary rate for an apprentice being approximately £7104 annually! As an apprentice you are treated no differently to all the other higher staff here which is really pleasing, and everyone is always very welcoming. There is flexi time offered to staff which allows people to carry out things in their personal life and work it around their working hours easier, for example it makes it easier to book appointments and have an appointment at 9am and then make up for the hours another time. There’s sports clubs which practise during the lunch hours and anyone is able join, there’s a shop and a cash machine and many more; but I think the main benefit is how proud I feel working for DCC and the sense of community inside the work place. Everyone is so lovely and enthusiastic to help you and no question is ever a stupid question to anybody. I couldn’t recommend working for DCC more and I know after my contract finishes with DCC I’m going to try my best to stay working for Devon County Council.

Molly Grenfell
Office Support Apprentice in Customer Relations
Twitter | Facebook | Website 

Comments

Popular Posts