Meet the Apprentices

Charlotte Mullen - Transport Planning Technician 


When I left college, I didn’t know exactly what I wanted to do for a job, but I did know I didn’t want to get myself into debt for the sake of a few more years to make up my mind. The idea of an apprenticeship appealed to me as it meant I didn’t have to give up education just yet, but I could still gain valuable experience.

I was originally going to do a geography related course at university, so planning seemed to be a good choice - and as I stay in halls of residence for my college course, I’m almost getting my university experience anyway. I started my Planning Technician Apprenticeship at DCC, a two year course, in September 2017. I work in the traffic data team, organising and analysing manual counts and speed surveys to monitor traffic across Devon. Although we mostly use manual methods of data collection, we are starting to look at using Bluetooth devices and other new ways of collecting data.

As well as my normal work with traffic data, I have had the opportunity to work with members of the transport planning team to look at building transport models, which has helped me in my studies at college. I have also spent time with other apprentices at events such as the apprenticeship expo at Exeter College and doing presentations for young people who are thinking of going into an apprenticeship.

Every term, I go to Leeds College of Building for two weeks to study for my Transport Planning Level 3 BTEC. I attend lessons and complete assignments while I am at college, so I don’t have to worry about revision or assignments when I get back. As well as my assignments, I send evidence of the work I am doing at DCC to the skills assessors at college, which ensures I am getting the experience I need to complete the course successfully.

I know the experience that I have gained in my apprenticeship will be useful in the future, and I would recommend an apprenticeship to everyone, especially anyone who isn’t sure whether university is right for them but still wants to keep learning.

Charley Mullen
Transport Planning Technician Apprentice
Twitter | Facebook | Website 

Comments

Popular Posts