Apprentice to Professional

Claudia Bennett - Legal Secretary





I was successful in starting my business and administration apprenticeship in the October of 2014 in Public Health. I contemplated whether to attend college or apply for an apprenticeship as I had not heard much about apprenticeships and college was the usual route for people to go down. I decided to apply for an apprenticeship with Devon County Council as I wasn’t exactly sure what I wanted to do but I knew I wanted to earn money, learn and gain experience of a working environment as soon as I could.

The experience I have gained from completing my apprenticeship put me in good stead for my career aspirations, I now have the experience of working within a busy office and dealing with problem solving, this is something I wouldn’t have received if I attended college. The breadth of knowledge I have also gained from working with experienced colleagues that guided me and gave me confidence has benefitted me, this allowed me to expand my skills and apply them within a business environment. Gaining the knowledge, skills and experience alongside studying put me ahead of those whom attended college and received the same qualification as me.

At the end of my apprenticeship I applied for a job within the legal sector of the Council. I felt I was confident enough to work within a demanding and busy environment and had the skills and experience to do so. Law has always interested me, however I have never felt confident enough to take that big step of working within a legal department, however, after completing my apprenticeship and gaining the skills required I was successful in being appointed as a legal secretary. 

After working as a legal secretary for almost two years, I decided to take that next step in my career. I applied to university as a distance-learning student to complete my law degree of four years. I now work as a legal secretary four days a week, and one day a week I study. I have recently just completed my first year and look forward to achieving my career of becoming a solicitor.

I feel I am where I am today due to doing an apprenticeship. Gaining experience and skills, as well as studying and earning money is a combination that cannot be turned down. I highly recommend an apprenticeship to anyone, whether you don’t know what you want to do or whether you want to go to university in the future or you just want to get on the ladder of working.

Claudia Bennett
Legal Secretary
Twitter | Facebook | Website 



Comments

Popular Posts