Apprentice to Professional


Rob Norton - Service Desk Analyst 




I am currently a full time Service Desk Analyst for Scomis after successfully enrolling and completing the Devon County Council apprenticeship programme.


After leaving college in June 2015, I did not have any idea what I wanted to do for full time work or further education. University did not appeal to me and I did not want to be stuck in my part time job for much longer. After looking at different careers online and doing work experience at an IT related company, I enjoyed it and decided I wanted to do an office based job, preferably in business or IT. 

After seeing the DCC apprenticeship program advertised for a competitive salary, a Level 3 qualification and including my preferences of business, IT and customer service, I decided to apply for the job. After my application was accepted, I attended the 2nd stage of the process, which is where I could pick which role I wanted to apply for. There were many different roles in different departments of DCC that I could choose from however, I decided at this point that I wanted to focus on IT. I got an interview and after attending I was offered a role as a Service Desk analyst on the education side, which involves being the first line of support for schools with any IT related issues.

After arriving on my first day, I was immediately made to feel a part of the team and was assigned a mentor that would help to guide me through everything and if I had any problems I could go to them in the first instance. I was given the opportunity to attend different training courses to improve my knowledge including online learning and videos. Everyone was helpful and welcoming so I was never afraid to ask for help.

I completed the Level 2 Business & Admin qualification in the first year of my apprenticeship and then the Level 3 in the second year. I was given additional time to complete my apprenticeship work from my manager during the work day so that I could keep on top of everything. On top of this, I had a training day 1 day per month that included a lesson and time to work on my portfolio.

As a permanent member of the team, I now can progress to a level 2 analyst and I am now assisting in mentoring new starters in the team. At first, it all seemed like a lot to learn and it felt as if I would never get to grips with it, however now I am a fully competent member of the team and feel valued from both customers and colleagues with nice feedback that I receive as I am even helping senior analysts that have been here before I was even born!

I would recommend doing an apprenticeship to anyone who doesn’t want to go to university or doesn’t know what to do as it is a great opportunity to get proper ‘on the job’ experience whilst also earning a good salary and gaining extra qualifications. 



Rob Norton
Service Desk Analyst


Comments

Popular Posts