Apprentice to Professional

Sunny Fox - HR Adviser


The decision to continue with education or taking your first steps into your career when leaving school is a difficult one. I decided to give college a chance but soon realised that it wasn't really for me. I came across the option of an apprenticeship with Devon County Council in Business Administration and though I would give it a go. I attended the assessment centre and was interviewed and offered a position with Support Service for Environment, Economy and Culture. Although I had a general idea about the role I was due to start, I didn't really know anything about Devon County Council, the services it provided nor the political set up of such organisation.  


From the beginning, my apprenticeship involved working across the general admin support team, Human Resources (HR) Admin and the training team. My weeks were split and I worked across all three teams which helped me gain a lot of experience and the chance to work with a lot of different people.

Within my second year of the apprenticeship programme the opportunity to apply for a permanent role within the HR Admin team came available and I applied. I was successful and continued to complete my qualification whilst working in this permanent role. The grade was 3 levels higher than an apprentice but I felt like a very comfortable jump for me.  

During my 3rd year of employment, DCC funded me to complete my Certificate in Personnel Practice which I did in London. Not long after this, an opportunity to apply for an Assistant HR Adviser role became available. I was successful and in this role, DCC funded a 2-year CIPD course (Certificate in HR Management). Having this qualification meant I was eligible to apply for Chartered Membership with CIPD (HR's professional body). During this time, I applied for a promotional role as an HR Advisor and was successful in securing the role in HR Operations. I continued with my studies alongside my full-time role and self-funded the Masters (1 year) course in HR Management. I applied for a scholarship with the university so I ended up paying approx... £2000 for the final year, so I haven't ended up with £1000s of debt. DCC supported me during the year that I completed the masters by allowing me to work flexibly and giving me adequate time to study. 


I have been with Devon County Council for 10 years now and every year I have either had the opportunity to study alongside my role or I have secured a promotion. I believe that I have taken every opportunity I can to gain as much experience as possible. I wouldn't be where I am today without the support of DCC and would highly recommend an apprenticeship to anyone that is struggling to know where to take their career.  I feel very lucky that I 'stumbled' across a role I love!      

Sunny Fox
HR Adviser



Comments

Popular Posts